For Immediate Release November 19, 2018
Contact: Linda Lanterman (620) 672-0742, email@example.com
America’s State Parks and REI #OptOutside For a Better Black Friday
PRATT – America’s State Parks and specialty outdoor retailer REI Co-op are opting for a better way to spend Black Friday (November 23); one that gets families and friends reconnected with nature and spending time outdoors. They’re choosing to #OptOutside.
On October 23 REI announced that it “will close all 153 stores, process no online payments and pay more than 12,000 employees to #OptOutside with friends and family.” – for the fourth year running. And there are no better or more beautiful places for REI employees – and the nation – to spend time outside than at America’s State Parks.
“As millions of Americans get ready to #OptOutside again this Black Friday, state parks provide a great, close-to-home option for recreation. Kudos to all of the states waiving entrance fees to help people get outside this year, or just encouraging folks to enjoy their state parks” says Marc Berejka, REI director of community and government affairs.
The U.S. is home to some 8,565 state parks, all unique, that offer healthy, stress-free alternatives to crowded Black Friday shopping. From hiking, biking, camping and more, there are countless ways to enjoy time outdoors with family and friends at America’s State Parks. And many state parks across the nation will offer special programs and incentives on Black Friday to make your visit more enjoyable, convenient and affordable.
As of today, the following special #OptOutside promotions will be offered on Black Friday:
- Arizona – limited free park admission passes at all Arizona REI stores
- Arkansas – Green Friday – scheduled events at many state parks
- Colorado – free day admission to all state parks
- Delaware – free day admission to all state parks
- Georgia – more than 20 programs being held, all open to the public
- Indiana – free day admission to all state parks, reservoirs, state forest recreation areas and off-road vehicle riding areas; scavenger hunt; free #OptOutside knit hats; REI prize package giveaway; and, 20% off meal coupons
- Kansas – free day admission to all state parks, and free cabin stay drawing
- Minnesota – free day admission to all state parks
- New Mexico – free day admission to all state parks
- Oregon – free day admission to all state parks
- Rhode Island – 1.5–mile guided hike in Chepachet
- Tennessee – Ranger-led hikes at all 56 state parks
- Virginia – free day admission to all state parks for customers at REI and other select outdoor retailers; photo contest with gift certificate prizes
- Washington – free day admission to all state parks
- Wyoming – free day admission to all state parks
“America’s State Parks truly are some of the most beautiful places we have to explore and enjoy nature in the U.S. Nowhere else will you find landscapes so untouched by man. And to think you can visit some of these remarkable places for free is even more amazing,” said National Association of State Park Directors president Linda Lanterman. “America’s State Parks add to our quality of life in ways you can’t even imagine – unless you’ve been there. And once you go, you’ll never forget them.”
For more info on
America’s State Parks and activities on
Black Friday, click here